... journeys never end... destination is only an excuse!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day 5 (October 24, 2006)

My day started before the alarm could wake me up. Contrary to my expectation, that village did not wake up early. Effects of urbanisation... did not give me a good feel. I got myself ready and tied my bags to the bike and pushed it back on to the highway. I pushed the bike only few meters and then noticed this onlooker who got very amused at my plight. It was natural, even if I were in his place I would had felt the same. I told him the whole story and asked him what help is available around. This guy could speak in my mother tongue. Later I learnt that he lived for sometime in my state. This language bond worked out as it would normally work out at any part in India. All I asked him was, whether I could find someone from this village who could help me push the bike till the next town. He thought for a while and decided to help me himself. He went around and checked with couple of other villagers to get some better ideas. I felt happy inside as I got some help in pushing this 200 Kg iron horse through those uphills and downhills.

He was very nice and asked me to sit on the bike and started pushing it till we reached the top of the uphill and asked me to continue. My bags had taken the complete space on the pillion seat. I rode that down hill as long as I could and parked the bike by the side of the road. On the other side of the road I noticed one small dried out pond which was looking very beautiful. I went and sat by that waiting for this guy who was walking slowly. So mean of me! I had corrected my mistake in the next stretch. We pushed the bike again till we reached the top of the next uphill. This time I offered him to rode and thought I would walk. But we somehow managed to fit us on the bike and rode that down hill. I was feeling very awkward but I knew that had to adjust as he was helping me out of the way. On the way we checked with another mechanic whether he could do something with the clutch. He politely acknowledged that he knew only how to fix the punctures but not the vehicles. Finally we reached the next town. The auto spares shop was just open. I only showed him the clutch. He needed no further stories, but just jumped in to action. All he took was about 10 minutes and he replaced the broken part of the clutch. All was set and good to go. Guess, how much he charged me? Rs 35 only!!! If it were in city, it would had costed me few hundreds easily :) I dropped this nice guy back at his place and resumed my journey.

From then on the ride was too smooth to narrate. Stopped for breakfast on the way where I refreshed myself and had some nice dosas. On the way I noticed few accidents by Tamilnadu buses. It was just as expected. Good that I stayed back near that temple! The traffic became very annoying as I reached the city, taking away all the pleasure I had in riding earlier that day. At last I reached my place clocking 1600 Kms. I missed that 2000 Kms mark :(

Well... there is always the next time. The thirst for riding the Bullet is always insatiable!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Simple... Live by my Heart