... journeys never end... destination is only an excuse!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Day 1 (October 20th, 2006)... Continued

After having nice lunch I tied all my bags back onto the bullet. Weather was very pleasant, roads were lot better, tummy was full, landscape was getting better as it was leading into a forest range. As I kept on going, the sighting of humans became a rarity especially after crossing some check post. It gave a nice feeling that I was getting closer to nature! Greenery all around and road was taking nice turns with smooth up hills and down hills. While I was enjoying my being there, I noticed the road to be wet as if it rained. I even had to wipe the helmet to get better visibility. After few minutes I realized that was riding through clouds, when I found myself on top of a hill in Satyamangalam forest. WOW... it was an amazing sight. I stopped at couple of view points to appreciate and experience the beauty of nature. There are about 24 hairpin turns in those ghats. On my way I noticed few lorries with heavy loads making their best effort to climb up the hills. While taking one of those turns the view from top showed some straight line dividing the forest range. As I went on maneuvering those hairpin turns one after the other the view in my rear view mirrors was getting better and better. Finally the ghats were over. I stopped for a quick two minute break to appreciate the whole beauty of the nature around.

By then I had covered around 200+ Kms and it was around 3 in the evening, but it was like 6. Though I was very sure that I had enough fuel to reach Coimbatore, still I got the tank filled. Petrol over there was 4 rupees cheaper! It feels safe to have the tank full while you are riding through some unknown terrain. I resumed my journey towards Munnar, I was not sure whether I would be able to make it. I rode for an hour or so and surprised to find a big change in the weather, It was very sunny and hot. I stopped by a tea stall for a cup of tea. It tasted so different, so unlike the tea! For reaching Coimbatore I was supposed to take the right turn at some crossing and I took it but at another wrong crossing. I found the road to be really good and I was going at a good speed. Suddenly I felt that I was going in a wrong route, the intuition thing! It was right, when I asked some one on the road, he told me that I was going towards Ooty and Coimbatore is on the other direction. I had to take a U turn and head towards Coimbatore. By 5 I was in Coimbatore, I felt that I can ride for few more hours before I need rest. Even if I had stopped, I did not know how to spend the rest of the evening. I went ahead thinking that I would stop in the next big town. I continued riding for two more hours and reached Pollachi. Riding during the twilight is the difficult part anywhere. I found a decently looking hotel and took rest. I should say that it was luxurious!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Simple... Live by my Heart