... journeys never end... destination is only an excuse!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Day 2 (October 21, 2006)... Continued

As I continued my ride towards Munnar. I found myself in going through huge hills covered with white clouds. They are so beautiful and tempting! ;) Before I could fully appreciate that raw beauty I had reached Chennur reserve forest. Gate was closed and I thought I was supposed to make an entry and pay the fee. The gaurd over there gestured that I can go around the gate and proceed further. He also conveyed that no entry was needed as it was a two wheeler. There were couple of cars near that gate while I was entering. I presumed that they would follow me and was checking for them every few minutes in my rear mirrors, in vain. I was not sure whether I was in the right route! I then stopped for few minutes to get myself ready for that weather, it was cold and very pleasant. I was all set to experience the heaven!

It was surprising to find someone sitting on the road with small baskets and selling something in the middle of nowhere. As I approached them I found some vehicles parked at the right side of the road. I was about to stop but something inside told me that I should not. I always listened to the inner me! As I went ahead little further I found a milestone with Munnar written on it. I was glad that I did not miss my route. From then on... every moment was a great pleasure. My first surprise was another check post at the turn. Few cars were were waiting at the gate and guards were checking and making some entries. The experience at the previous check post told me that those formalities were not for me and passed under that gate. There was a nice colorful board, "Welcome to Kerala". I always wanted to experience the so called 'Gods own Country'! It was just getting realized.

From here on... the best of the best narration will be as good as one sand particle in a desert. It can only be experienced! The road was taking innumerable turns as it was climbing into those gorgeous landscapes. Peaks, valleys, water falls, huge trees, colorful flowers... all over the place. I stopped at few points trying to come out of that trance, but in vain. I was then wondering, how it would be to stop for breakfast in such serene surroundings. It was too much of a luxury to ask for in such no man's land. Guess what... I was rich enough to afford such luxury. Food was not a priority, but the experience definitely was. I was enjoying every moment of the ride, suddenly I saw few houses at a distance. I was hoping to find something to eat. As I took one of those steep turns, there was a nice water fall and a small house immediately next to that. I felt that It was the absolutely perfect place to stop for breakfast. I was lucky to find a small shop next to it. I managed to park my iron horse there and asked that lady whether I can get some breakfast. And the breakfast was served :)

The place I was sitting is at one of those steep turns. Just in front of me there was a green valley with some farms. Towards my right there was a road leading to that village and all those small houses with red color house tops were giving a beautiful contrast to the various shades of green around. Exactly behind the place where I was sitting, there was a nice water fall. In cities, we build big over head water tanks to have the running water. Can you guess how the arrangement was there!... They had kept small tubes on the slopes of that water fall. They collect the water and you have the running water, interesting setup! I had a nice cup of tea in those serene surroundings, appreciating every bit of it. It was a blissful breakfast time :)

As I had to cover a long distance that day, I started my ride very reluctantly. In few minutes I found myself in that town Maraiyur. Slowly I managed my way out of that busy place. As I was going away from that human population I started feel better again! As I continued my riding, I found myself in a HUGE tea garden. That was the best stretch I ever rode. Then I notice that road was leading to another water fall. There was a small bridge to cross that water fall. I guess, it is one of the tourist spots on that road. As I was approaching the bridge, there was this guy who was waving at me to stop. He was not looking like one those local guys who were selling various food items. I slowly stopped few yards away from him, thinking that he might want some information. He walked up to me and asked me whether I was on a biking trip. He is another guy like me, who was on his way to Munnar from Chennai on bike. He asked me whether I would be interested to try some trekking near that water fall. I would had loved to, but decided otherwise as I wanted to experience that ride more than anything else. Trekking in that place is just an irresistible temptation, on the other hand waterfall was so inviting. Then I changed my mind and started trekking towards the base of the waterfall. By then this guy had already paid for the entry tickets for both of us. It was very small trek, just enough time to catch up with each others expeditions. I felt glad to know that he did that himalayan odyssey, a dream for any real biker. After a very brief photo session, he decided to join me till Munnar.

Back on the bikes through that amazing landscapes. The road was leading us into clouds, we stopped at couple of turns to appreciate the blissful surroundings. Soon we found ourselves at a sign written 5500. Needless to say, that was the altitude we were at. The road was still going into the clouds and we could hardly see anything through those thick clouds. They show all these kinds of settings in fairy tales, and there we were experiencing it for real. We continued our ride through those clouds into Munnar. There was a big crowd and long queues at the entrance of the national park, who came all the way to see Neela Kurungi flowers. These flowers bloom only once in 12 years. Seeing that crowd, we had decided to try it some other time. It was just about lunch time, by the time we reached Munnar. After debating on where to stop for food, we thought of going around to check out. Few meters from there we found a nice looking empty restaurant. After going around the market we came back to the same restaurant. We ordered item after item and had a very heavy lunch. By the time we finished our lunch, that whole place got crowded and many were waiting for the tables. It was raining when we came out of that place. I got myself ready to proceed further even in that rain. We took each others contact details and parted.

My next destination was Thekkadi. I had to cross Devikolam before entering Cardamom hills. The route from Munnar to Devikolam was very beautiful and a bit dangerous. It was better than the best I had experienced earlier that day. All I can say is that experience was beyond words. Probably, few photos might be able to give the glimpse of that heaven. One my way, I saw one bike with only one wheel and a small boy guarding that. Obviously the wheel had gone for a puncture fix. I don't know what I would had done if that were to happen to me! After crossing Devikolam, the forest was becoming thicker and thicker. I rode very carefully for the next four hours. The roads were bad, thick forest all around and no human habitation! On that route, there are couple of view points giving just out of the world experience. Again, it's beyond words! Finally, by 5:30 I found myself at the entrance of Periyar national park at Thekkadi.

Initially when I planned my trip, I decided my route only till Thekkadi. Later I left that open as I could not make up my mind whether to travel through Tamilnadu or Kerla. From morning I could cover only about 200 Kms with an average speed of around 30 Kms. I was still 400 Kms away from my final target, Kanya Kumari. I had to decide in the next few minutes, and I knew it was going to affect my entire schedule. It was almost dark I was in the middle of a forest. One option was to stay at Kumli itself, but again the same question, what do I do for the rest of the day? Seeing the ghats and road condition I felt that I would slip my schedule, if I chose to ride through Kerla. Finally, I made up my mind to make Madhurai as my next target. It is 150 Kms from there. I did not waste a single minute as I wanted to get out of the forest before it gets completely dark. And then it started raining, I did not stop till I crossed that forest range. It was a relieving to find myself on a flat and straight road, I was then sure that I can reach my final target with no slippage in the schedule. At the first town itself there was this huge Reliance pertol station. I rode straight into that to get a tank full. Guys over there assured me that the road was good and Madhurai was about 3 to 4 hours away.

Time was 6:30 and it was Diwali night, my target was about 150 Kms away. It was no point to take any break then, so started my iron horse and resumed my journey. Roads were good and just that I had to maneuver my iron horse through all the crackers set on the road, whenever I passed by a village. It was interesting to find myself in dark and middle of nowhere on Diwali night. May be, that was what I wanted when I started for this trip. Taking a right turn as per the road signs at a wrong junction had become the flavor of the day! However the intuitive me was alert enough to correct me timely :) At last, I reached Madhurai. At one of the petrol bunks I asked the to suggest me a nice place to stay for that night. I did not know what they saw in me but showed me the way to a 3 star hotel. It did not make sense to spend 2000 for 8 hours or so. The guys at the reception were good enough to show me another place near by. Then I thought, let me use the lonely planet guide. There was a mention of one budget hotel very next to the temple. I thought it would be a good bet thinking, if time permits I could visit the temple as well.

I rode straight to the temple and went around that to find this place. I was about to get out of that area and I then I found this place which was about to close. I went in and asked if I can get a room for that night. That guy at the reception was so rude and started all kinds of nonsense. I had to deposit my driving license to get a room. At that hour of the day I did not want to roam around looking for an accommodation as that whole town had already slept. That room was bad, I could not imagine how this lonely planet guys recommend such bad place. Then I started feeling hungry and went to check at the reception. As expected the response was some nonsense. I had decided to walk around that place to find anything to eat. Not a single shop was open. After walking quite a distance I found some guy selling something on a push cart. I could get some boiled peas and badam milk from there. That was my dinner on Diwali. Went back to bed recapturing the day... heaven to hell, sumptuous lunch to no dinner, huge variation in the terrain I left behind... that's the way of life. I enjoyed every bit of it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Simple... Live by my Heart